Learn to add an address book and add contacts to it.
Every email address you store in your account is known as a contact. Contacts can have all manner of data associated with them in addition to their email address, for example, name, gender, birthday, where they live, their preferences and so on.
Contacts are stored in address books. These are used for organising your contacts and for choosing who to send campaigns to. Each contact in your account exists in one or more of these address books.
Your account includes two special address books:
- 'All contacts' includes all contacts in all address books
- 'Test' is the list of contacts you can test send campaigns to
This article will take you through the process of creating address books and adding and uploading contacts to them
Duplicate email addresses
When you import contacts that include duplicated email addresses, we upload them only once and remove any duplicates.
Create an address book
To create a new address book:
- Go to Email > Contacts > My Contacts.
- Select +New address book.
- Under the heading Create address book, for Name, enter a name for your address book.
- For Folder, expand the drop-down folder menu and choose a folder to store your address book in.
- For Description, enter a description for your address book. Make it something identifiable.
- For this example, don't change anything for Users allowed to send to this address book. If you'd like to learn more about this, check out the article Restrict who can send to specific contacts.
- Select Save.
You can now upload your contacts into the address book, or you can do this at a later stage should you wish to.
Adding contacts to your address book
There are several ways to add contacts to your address book. The main two are:
- Adding contacts one at a time using our online form
- Uploading multiple contacts in an Excel or CSV file
In addition, depending upon your account level, you may be able to import contacts from Salesforce.
To learn more, check out our API documentation.
Add an individual contact
When adding individual contacts using the online form, you can edit, create and fill in contact data fields for the contact.
When happy, click Save to store the contact's details.
If you need to store additional data for the contact, you can create a new contact data field by clicking on the Data fields tab and then clicking on New data field.
This will open the 'Create new data field' panel.
Alternatively, you can go to Contacts > Contact data fields > My data fields > New data field to create a new contact data field.
The maximum file size for an Excel or CSV file upload is 10MB.
When choosing to add a list of contacts from an Excel or CSV file, select the file to upload by clicking on Choose file.
You can apply the following settings for the import:
- Email address to notify - Large imports can take a while; if you'd like to be notified by email when the import is complete, enter an email address here (the logged in user's email address is automatically populated).
- Encoding type - Our system defaults to the Latin alphabet. If you're importing email addresses containing Cyrillic letters, for example, then you might want to pick an appropriate character set encoding. Unicode (UTF-8) handles most characters, however.
When ready, click on Upload.
This takes you through to the data matching page.
Here you choose the columns you want to import from your file. This is done by selecting a matching contact data field from the dropdowns available, as shown below.
You can also upload consent information with your import.
Leave the selection as - skip column - if you don't wish to import the column.
Select Add new data field if you want to create a new contact data field on the fly that you want to match to.
When ready, click on Finish and the file will be imported into the selected address book, after it's checked and cleared by our Data Watchdog.
If any records fail to import successfully, a faults file will be available for you to download.
Up next: Learn about choosing a template »