This article is now deprecated
Due to changes in Facebook, this article has been deprecated and is no longer supported. Instead, we recommend adding a sign-up button to your Facebook page by following the steps in How to add an email signup button to your Facebook page.
Your Facebook page can be linked directly to your Engagement Cloud address book - so your fans can signup to your newsletter right from Facebook. Better still, you can customise the fields you show on the signup form.
There are two ways to do this:
- Option 1: Use our signup form and an HTML app
This will enable you to use images and more custom elements in your signup form; however will involve the use of a third party application.
- Option 2: Use our Facebook application
This only includes basic text boxes, but does not involve the use of an additional third party application.
Using our signup form to create a Facebook signup form
1. Create your signup form using signup form generator
Create an email signup form as you would any other website using our HTML signup form builder.
Test your form to make sure this writes data to the correct data fields and address books.
Add any styling and validation as appropriate.
2. Add an HTML app to your Facebook page
Add an HTML Facebook app to your page that will hold the surveys and forms iFrame. You can do a search for suitable apps on Facebook - to build this example we used Static HTML plus to create the custom tab (we don't endorse any particular app, so be sure to check out the developers and that you're happy to accept the required permissions before installing anything).
- Set the name of the custom tab to 'Newsletters' or 'Email signup' or similar
- Set the icon of the custom tab to something appropriate (we used an envelope)
3. Insert the sign-up form into your HTML app
Paste into your HTML into the app.
- The redirect will not work, so your form will need to indicate to the user that the action is complete
- You will need to change the page that the form posts to from http://dmtrk.net/signup.ashx to https://rX-t.trackedlink.net/signup.ashx (depending upon which region your account belongs to, rX will be r1, r2, etc.)
Don't forget to test the signup form once you're all done.
And here's one we made earlier.
Using the Engagement Cloud Facebook app to create a signup form
1. Install the Facebook app
Login to your Facebook account and visit the following URL: https://apps.facebook.com/dmcontactsignup/ (you may then also be asked to log in to Engagement Cloud).
You will need to allow the app to manage your pages.
You will then be taken to the 'dotmailer Contact Signup' application profile page. To add this to your Facebook account click on the ‘Go to App’ button.
2. Configure signup form
To configure the signup form you will be asked to choose:
- Which page to add the signup form to
- The address book contacts should be written to
- What fields should be added to the signup form (in the example below, just name has been added)
- What thank you message should be displayed - if you are using double opt-in on the address book, consider an appropriate message for that
Click the 'Add to my page button' and the signup form will be added to your page. A message will be shown next to the button to show that the changes have been saved.
A tab will be added to your page called "Email signup" using the dotmailer logo - these can be changed by editing the Facebook page settings.
Return to the app (https://apps.facebook.com/dmcontactsignup) at any time to edit the settings.