Switching to Engagement Cloud from MailChimp is straightforward (although there are some terminology differences to learn).
In this guide, we show you how to:
|In MailChimp||In Engagement Cloud|
|List field||Contact data field|
|Campaign||We call them campaigns too|
|Template||We call them templates too|
|Merge tag||Personalisation marker|
Migrate your subscribers
First off, let's get your MailChimp subscribers moved over to Engagement Cloud. As MailChimp automatically removes unsubscribed and bounced email addresses from your lists, you can safely import your subscribers right into Engagement Cloud. To do this:
- Click Lists in Mailchimp.
- Click the list that contains the subscribers you want to add to Engagement Cloud.
- Click Export List.
- Click Export as CSV. Your list will be downloaded to your computer. It'll download as a Zip file, so you'll need to extract the CSV file.
- Click Contacts in Engagement Cloud.
- Click New address book, and give it a name. Giving it the same name as your old MailChimp list can help avoid things getting confusing. If you like, you can also give your address book a description - for example, 'My old MailChimp list'.
- Click Save.
- On the next page, chose the Add a list of contacts from an Excel or CSV file option.
- Click Choose file, and choose the CSV file you extracted from your MailChimp download.
- Click Upload.
- On the next page, you need to map your old MailChimp list field values to your new Engagement Cloud contact data fields.
- Set Column0 to be 'email'.
- Set Column1 to be 'firstname'.
- Set Column2 to be 'lastname'.
- Click Upload. Engagement Cloud will whirl away importing your subscribers.
You can do the above for each MailChimp list that you want to move over to Engagement Cloud. If you have lots of lists, you can download them all at once by going to Account > Settings > Manage my data.
Good to know
In MailChimp, unsubscribed and bounced email addresses are stored per list. In Engagement Cloud, suppressed contacts are account-wide.
Recreate your signup forms
In MailChimp, each list can have its own signup form. In Engagement Cloud, signup forms are account-wide - but you can pick an address book for signups to go into.
To create a signup form, follow the steps in our guide 'Creating a signup form'.
Move your email templates
Next, we can get your MailChimp templates moved over to Engagement Cloud. Templates are comprised of three things:
We'll tackle each of these three areas separately, starting with moving your HTML.
To do this:
- In MailChimp, click Templates.
- Find the template you wish to migrate, and select the Export as HTML option.
- In Engagement Cloud, go to Campaigns > My templates.
- Click the Upload template tab.
- Choose the template file you downloaded from MailChimp and hit Upload, followed by Continue.
- You template will be imported. Click Continue once more.
- Your template will automatically get converted to be EasyEditor compatible, and should show in EasyEditor as a fully editable template.
At this point, your template images will still be hosted by MailChimp. We need to import them into Engagement Cloud and then re-insert them into your template, before your template can be used.
You can do this in one of two ways. If you have the original images to hand (stored on your computer, for example), then you can upload the originals.
If you don't have the originals, then you can right-click on each of your images in EasyEditor and save them to your computer.
Once you have your images, you can re-insert them into your template. To do this:
- In EasyEditor, click Images in the left-hand accordion.
- Click the + icon to bring up the file dialog.
- Select your images (you can select all of them in one batch - you don't have to import them one by one.).
- For each image in your template, drag the corresponding image from the 'Images' pane into the space containing the existing image. This will swap your old MailChimp images for your new Engagement Cloud ones.
Merge tags/personalisation markers
Lastly, you may need to update your merge tags, if your template includes them.
In MailChimp, these look like *|SOMETHING|*. For example, *|EMAIL|* will insert the subscriber's email address into an email.
In Engagement Cloud, personalisation markers look like @SOMETHING@. For example *|EMAIL|* becomes @EMAIL@.
However, the default list of markers in Engagement Cloud may not include replacements for the merge tags in your template. You can add new ones, but for simplicity we recommend replacing the tags listed below, and removing the others for the time being.
Tags to replace:
- *|EMAIL|* to @EMAIL@
- *|FNAME|* to @FIRSTNAME@
- *|LNAME|* to @LASTNAME@
Once you've replaced or removed all your merge tags, you can now save your template. Click Save & continue. On the next page, click Finish.
Your template is now ready for use, and can be selected from the My templates library.
Sending your first campaign
You've moved your subscribers, and you've imported your templates. Feeling ready to send your first Engagement Cloud campaign? We've got plenty of help for you.