Learn what happens when a contact resubscribes with a signup form, and how to resubscribe a contact manually with Microsoft Dynamics.
After a contact unsubscribes, they might change their mind and ask you to resubscribe them, or even resubscribe themselves using a signup form.
When this happens, we add the contact to the All contacts address book. The contact doesn't return to any address books they were in previously unless they resubscribe using a signup form that lets them choose those address books specifically.
If you want to resubscribe a contact manually using Engagement Cloud, or you're not a Microsoft Dynamics user, check out the article Resubscribe a contact.
Before you start
Some things you need to know before you resubscribe any contacts:
- Only resubscribe contacts that explicitly request it
After every resubscription, we send the contact a confirmation email. If the contact reports email abuse from the confirmation email, the report is logged against your account and the resubscription is unsuccessful.
- Use these connector versions or higher
You must be using one of these versions (or higher) of the Engagement Cloud for Dynamics connector:
- 2011: 126.96.36.199
- 2013: 188.8.131.529
- 2015 and 2016: 184.108.40.2061
Resubscribe with a signup form
An unsubscribed contact can manually resubscribe themselves with your signup form. When this happens, you don't need to do anything, but the following process automatically takes place between Engagement Cloud and Microsoft Dynamics.
- After submitting your signup form, we remove the contact from the Engagement Cloud suppression list.
- We then add the contact to the All contacts address book, and any additional address books if the contact requested it in the signup form.
- When the next suppression synchronisation with Microsoft Dynamics happens, we add the contact to your Microsoft Dynamics account, remove them from the suppression list, and update the contact's resubscription status.
- If necessary, we remove any bulk email restrictions.
Resubscribe a contact in Microsoft Dynamics
If a contact asks you to resubscribe them, you can do this manually in Microsoft Dynamics.
To resubscribe a contact:
- In Microsoft Dynamics, go to Engagement Cloud > Email suppressions.
In previous versions of Microsoft Dynamics 365, go to MARKETING > Email Suppressions.
- Select the contact’s email address from the list.
- Under the heading General, select the Request Resubscribe check box.
- Select Save.
When the next suppression sync runs, Microsoft Dynamics sends the contact a resubscription confirmation email. Once the contact confirms their resubscription, Microsoft Dynamics completes the resubscription process.
The resubscription process in Microsoft Dynamics
Once the contact confirms resubscription, Microsoft Dynamics completes the resubscription process:
- Removes the contact from the email suppressions list.
- Adds a resubscription status to the contact's NOTES field.
- Updates the `Resubscribe Request Date`.
- Next time the suppression sync runs, removes any bulk email restrictions.