Learn how to set up the Cvent integration to sync event data to Dotdigital.
Connecting Cvent to Dotdigital to sync your event data means you can make the most of our powerful automation and communications features to engage with your contacts before, during, and after events.
- Syncs contacts, and creates them where they don’t already exist in Dotdigital.
- Creates two new data fields to store the name and date of a contact’s last attended event.
- Creates address books linked to each published event to store invitees, registrants and attendants.
- Syncs event related information as insight data in an contact-scoped insight data collection called
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- You might need the help of your developers to obtain the Client ID and Client Secret from Cvent which are needed for the integration setup.
- Contacts with the Subscribed or Opted-in status set to False in Cvent are not synced to Dotdigital.
Set up the integration
The setup of the Cvent integration requires you to access your Dotdigital and Cvent accounts, and the Cvent Developer Portal.
You might need to ask your developers to help you with the set up steps in the Cvent Developer Portal.
1: Create your Cvent workspace
- In your Cvent account, select the app switcher icon in the top right, then select Admin.
- From the left side menu, expand the Integrations drop-down menu and select REST API, then select Manage API access.
- You are taken to the Workspaces tab. You can either:
- use an existing workspace to configure the connection to Dotdigital. To do this, select the workspace name, or the edit icon to the right.
- create a new workspace. To do this, select + Create Workspace and enter a name for the workspace.
You can choose to apply additional permissions to the workspace beyond those required for the Dotdigital integration if you want to. You might choose to do this if the workspace is also going to be used for other purposes.
To set only the required permissions for the Dotdigital integration, select the Event tab and then select the checkboxes for the following permissions:
- You must ensure that your developers have access to the workspace you are using for the integration. To do this, select the Developers tab on the Access Management window, then select the Edit icon to the right of a developer name. Select Add next to the relevant workspace.
2: Generate the Client ID and Client Secret
- Log in to your Cvent Developer Portal, expand the Current workspace drop-down menu and select the correct workspace, then select Create Application.
- Enter an Application name and then expand the Select scopes drop-down menu.
If you only applied the necessary permissions for the Dotdigital integration when you set up your workspace, then at this stage you can just select all available scopes, as they have been pre-filtered by your permissions selection.Select the necessary scopes:
- Select Save, and then select View applications.
- A Client ID and Client Secret are generated for you for the application you have created. You need to copy these details and add them to Dotdigital when requested.
3: Select the integration
- In Dotdigital, go to the Integration hub.
- Select the Self-serve tab.
- Select the Cvent tile.
- Select Use integration.
4: Connect Cvent to Dotdigital
- On the Connect applications step, select + Connect your Cvent Events.
- In the popover window, expand the environment drop-down menu and select your Cvent environment, which should be one of US, EU or Sandbox. Enter the Client ID and Client Secret, which you generated in Cvent in Step 2. Select Save.
- A confirmation message is displayed. Select Ok.
- Select Next. You see a summary of what the integration does. Read this information and then select Next again.
- Under Contact Sync, select the checkboxes for the types of contacts you want to sync from Cvent to Dotdigital, then select Next to finalise the setup.
For each published event in Cvent, the integration can create three address books in Dotdigital, based on which contacts you have chosen to sync:
- Cvent Event name invitees
- Cvent Event name registrants
- Cvent Event name attendees
These contact types are classified as follows:
|Invitees||Contacts who have been added to an event in Cvent and have a status of No response.|
|Registrants||Contacts who have been added to an event in Cvent and have a status of Accepted, and a
|Attendees||Contacts who have been added to an event in Cvent and have a status of Accepted, and a
To view Cvent event related data for a contact:
- Go to Email > Contacts > All contacts.
- Select the address book name.
Or, select the All contacts address book.
- Find and select the contact.
- Select the Data fields tab. Information about the contact’s last attended event is contained in two custom data fields:
- CVENT_LAST_EVENT contains the event name.
- CVENT_EVENT_DATE contains the date the event took place.
- To view the event related insight data for the contact, select the Insight data tab. Expand the insight data collection drop-down menu and select Events.
Eventsinsight data records for the contact are listed on the left. Select a record ID to view it.
You can also use the Cvent data field and insight data:
- In segments, to send campaigns to specific groups, for example, a follow-up campaign to attendees of a given event requesting their feedback.
- To power dynamic content in an email campaign, for example, to display information about similar events to those that contacts have previously signed up for.
- In an automated program, for example, to schedule reminders to registrants in the run up to an event.