Learn to set up an abandoned checkout campaign for your Shopify store using Engagement Cloud.
Engagement Cloud for Magento/Magento 2 user, or Engagement Cloud platform-only user?
If so, abandoned cart functionality is configured and implemented differently - and the information below does not apply. Please instead read the Engagement Cloud for Magento 2/Magento or platform-only (abandoned carts module) articles.
The Shopify connector allows you to send abandoned checkout emails to visitors of your website. This feature is free of charge and is included with the connector.
An abandoned checkout is an event where:
- A potential customer provides their contact information on the checkout page but doesn't complete the order. (Guest)
- A logged-in customer abandons the shopping cart on the checkout page but doesn't complete the order. (Customer)
At this point, the checkout details are stored as a record in that contact's CartInsight data collection. This CartInsight data includes items such as the URL of the cart, the products in the cart and the price of the cart.
Before you start
- Setting up abandoned checkout is quick and intuitive.
- It does not require custom code to be added to your store.
- You must build a program and map that program from the settings of the connector.
You have full control over this program and can decide how many campaigns should be sent, the cadence of these campaigns and of course the content within those campaigns. Cart content is easily inserted into the campaign by using the abandoned cart block. Enrolment can happen as soon as 30 minutes after the cart has been abandoned on the checkout page.
Need abandoned cart instead?
An abandoned checkout is not the same as abandoned cart. With abandoned cart, the visitor can abandon your site from any page. Abandoned cart requires custom code to be added to your store, and may include additional charges.
Create an abandoned checkout email
An abandoned checkout email contains the latest contents of a contact's cart in a pre-built layout, which is populated with CartInsight data.
Abandoned checkout emails are sent automatically through programs. Therefore, make sure you create an abandoned checkout email as a triggered campaign.
- Go to Automation > Triggered campaign content > Add new. This action opens EasyEditor, which is a drag-and-drop editor for designing email campaigns.
- Drag and drop an abandoned cart block into a dropzone in your design
- In EasyEditor, you will see placeholder text in this block.
Previewing the content of an abandoned cart block
You can preview what text will be displayed to a contact when the email is sent by using the personalised preview.
- Click Preview > Personalisation icon
- Enter the email address of a contact that has a CartInsight data record.
To find out which contacts have a CartInsight data record, create a segment that contains those contacts.
If you need additional help with building an email campaign, read the ‘Getting Started’ section.
Create an abandoned checkout program
You do have full creative control and can build the program any way you like but there are nodes that should be included. It is suggested that your abandoned checkout program include at least one delay node and one decision node to look for purchases within the duration of the program. This ensures the program is operating successfully and removes contacts who might have made that cart purchase.
You can create programs by going to Automation > My programs > New program.
New to Automation?
Below is an example of a simple way to build an abandoned checkout program:
The start node should be set to ‘No scheduled enrolment’
Attach a Delay node to the Start node. This gives contacts a chance to complete their order, we suggest waiting one day before sending any abandoned cart email.
Attach a Decision node to the Delay node. In the Decision node, create a condition that includes only contacts who have a purchase_date value that occurs in the last one day. Be sure you check Order insight data for the purchase_date.
- No Path - Attach Campaign node to the 'NO' path of the Decision node. In the Campaign node, select your abandoned checkout email.
- Yes Path- End Node, contacts will exit the program if they completed their order in the last one day.
The entire program will look similar to this.
If you would like to send more then one abandoned checkout email repeat the decision and delay node loop until you have sent the desired amount of campaigns. Adjust the purchase_date length to the proper time frame within each subsequent delay node. For example, if your second email will be sent three days after the first was sent then set the purchase_date to ‘occurs in the last three days.’
It’s recommended you QA the program prior to setting it live. The easiest method to test the program is to attach a decision node to the Start node. The decision node will exit email addresses that do not match the email addresses you want to test with.
- Yes Path - Email address is equal to the email address you are testing with
- No Path - Contacts will exit the program if they do not meet the email address entered above
When QA is complete and everything is working properly remove this node from the program.
Activate the abandoned checkout process
The program can be mapped and activated from the Shopify connector settings. This can be accessed in Engagement Cloud by clicking Shopify in the Engagement Cloud settings menu.
This takes you to the 'Store' tab, scroll down to the 'Abandoned checkout' section and map the ‘Abandoned checkout to’ to the abandoned checkout program you have created.
Choose the wait time to enrol contacts into the abandoned checkout program. The minimum wait time is 30 minutes and the maximum is 12 hours.
The abandoned checkout program must be in an active status for enrolment to begin.