Learn how to set up your Shopify program extension, so you can convert contacts in Dotdigital to new customers in Shopify.
A Shopify program extension can be used to convert existing Dotdigital contacts to new customers or subscribed customers in Shopify. This is useful if you're collecting new contacts directly into Dotdigital. If you’re using signup forms or Pages and forms, you can pass your new contacts back to Shopify to keep your lists up to date, accurate, and consistent.
The extension supports the following Shopify customer fields for a newly added contact:
- First name
- Last name
- Accepts marketing
These fields use the mapping that’s defined in the Field mapping area of your Shopify connector. Once your store is connected, you can find the Shopify program extension in Dotdigital by going to the program builder, and then navigating to the Extensions area in the accordion menu.
Configure your extension
To setup your Shopify program extension node:
- Create a new program or select an existing one by going to Email > Automation > All programs.
- Build your program by setting the enrollment criteria and add additional logic, if needed.
- Drag the Shopify program extension node onto the program builder canvas.
- Select the node to access its settings.
- Select your Shopify store from the Store drop-down menu.
- Select Yes or No for the Accept marketing option.
By default, Accepts marketing is set to Yes. If a contact is enrolled into the program and hasn’t opted into your marketing communications, make sure this option is set to No.
- Select Apply.
- Select Activate.
Once a contact reaches this node in your program, they are added as a customer or subscribed customer within your store.
Customer already exists
If a contact’s email address exists in Shopify, it’s ignored; it isn’t added or updated.