Learn how to set up the integration between Facebook Lead Ads and Dotdigital.
Integrating your Facebook Lead Ads with Dotdigital allows you to sync data for contacts who sign up through your ads, and optionally enrol them into a program to, for example, send tailored messaging based on the ad they are interested in.
The integration syncs the following contact data to Dotdigital:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Facebook Lead Ad name
This data is automatically mapped to the relevant Dotdigital Contact data fields. The integration will create a new data field for Facebook Lead Ad name.
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- You must have a Facebook Business account.
- The integration syncs and stores the most recent lead ad a contact has signed up to. If a contact signs up to subsequent ads, the value is overwritten.
- The integration does not verify opt-in for your leads. Any contact that completes the lead ad is synced into Dotdigital, unless they are on the account suppression list.
- The integration does not work retroactively - only new leads from the point that you activate the integration are synced.
Connect Facebook Lead Ads to Dotdigital
Once you have completed the installation process for the integration, new leads who signup through your chosen Facebook Lead Ads are automatically synced every 15 minutes to an address book called Facebook Leads.
Step 1: Connect your Facebook Leads Ads account
Connecting multiple accounts
If you want to connect more than one Dotdigital account to your Facebook Business accounts, you must use a separate Facebook login for each Dotdigital connection. Using the same Facebook user login for multiple Dotdigital accounts is not supported.
- In Dotdigital, go to Integration Hub from the left side menu, then select the Self-serve tab.
- Select the Facebook Lead Ads tile.
- Select Setup and then select + Connect your Facebook Lead Ads.
- In the window that opens, log in to your Facebook Business account and select the pages you want to connect to Dotdigital, then select Next.
- A list of permissions is displayed. Review these, then select Done and then OK.
You can switch off any number of these permissions if you want to, but the integration requires these particular permissions to function to its full extent. Deactivating any of these permissions may result in the integration working incorrectly or not at all.
Step 2: Set up the integration
- You are returned to Dotdigital. To continue the installation, select Next.
- Information is displayed telling you more about the integration. Read this, then select Next.
- Expand the Programs drop-down menu and select a program to enrol new leads on to as they sign up.
You don’t need to select a program now if you don’t want to. You can always come back to this step using the Facebook Lead Ads tile in the Integration Hub and select a program at a later time.
- Expand the Import all Facebook Leads drop-down menu and select whether you want to import all of your leads:
- Select Yes to import leads from all of your Facebook Lead Ads from the selected pages.
- Select No to be able to choose which Lead Ads you would like to sync contacts from.
If you select No, you must select the checkboxes for the Lead Ads you want to sync.
Syncing new Lead Ads
If you choose to import all leads from the selected pages, then any new ads you publish in future will have their leads synced to Dotdigital. If you choose to sync only selected ads, then you will need to repeat the steps to select any new ads you publish after the integration set up is complete.
- To complete the setup, select Next.
Update integration settings
To make changes to any of the integration settings:
- Select Integration Hub and then the Active tab.
- Select the Facebook Lead Ads tile.
- Select Setup.
Use data from your Facebook Lead Ads in Dotdigital
The integration stores the most recent Facebook Lead Ad that a contact has signed up to in a new custom data field called LAST_FB_LEAD_AD. This data field can be used in a variety of ways:
You could use a Decision or Multi decision node inside a program based on the value held in a contact’s LAST_FB_LEAD_AD data field to:
- send contacts a specific campaign
- sort them into a particular address book
- update another data field
among other options.