Learn to send a unique file download link to each of your contacts in an email campaign.
You can use contact data fields to send each of your contacts a unique link. This link can go to anything you want. In this example, we're going to explain how to send each of your contacts a unique link to a file, allowing you to control which contacts can see which file.
Before you start
You must have access to a server to upload any files to.
Send a unique file link to each of your contacts
- Upload your files to a server
- Create a spreadsheet that has two columns of data - one column for the URLs that link to the files on your server, and another column with the email address to which you want to send the file. A URL and an email address must be on the same row.
- Create a new contact data field to store the URL against (let's call the contact data field 'file_url'). This contact data field must have a data type of 'Text'.
- Upload your spreadsheet
- Map the email addresses to the 'email' contact data field and map the URLs to the 'file_url' contact data field
- Create your campaign, and add a hyperlink.
- Enter the Link (URL) to
https://@file_url@(this personalises the link for each contact)
When contacts click this link in your campaign, their unique file will download from the URL that you mapped to their 'file_url' contact data field.
Make sure that the URLs in your spreadsheet don't include 'http://' or 'https://'. One of these protocols will be added to the URL by default. If any of your URLs already include one of these protocols when uploaded then they won't work.