Shopify connector user, or Engagement Cloud platform-only user?
If so, abandoned cart functionality is configured and implemented differently - and the information below will not apply. Please instead read the Shopify connector or platform-only (abandoned carts module) articles.
|Enabling an abandoned cart program|
|How the abandoned cart email series works|
|Enabling abandoned cart emails|
|Adjusting abandoned carts email limit|
|Sending abandoned cart emails only to newsletter subscribers|
The Magento connector allows you to either enrol your abandoned carts into an Engagement Cloud program, enabling you to execute an omnichannel strategy, or send an abandoned cart email series to both your customers and guests of your website.
Whilst it's possible to run a program and the email series alongside each other, it's likely that you'll want to avoid this duplication. In which case, remember to disable any abandoned cart email series that you might already have running when enabling an abandoned cart program.
An abandoned cart program enrols logged in users, guests, and guest subscribers.
CartInsight (Engagement Cloud's version of Insight data for abandoned carts) gets stored against a contact in Engagement Cloud when they abandon their basket. CartInsight is then used to power the abandoned cart block in a campaign, allowing you to preview the abandoned cart block's content in EasyEditor.
To enable an abandoned cart program, follow these steps:
- Create the abandoned cart program you wish to implement within your Engagement Cloud account
- Go to STORES > Configuration > ENGAGEMENT CLOUD > Abandoned Carts > Abandoned Cart Program, and select the program you created from the 'Enrol abandoned cart to' dropdown (only programs in an active state are listed)
- Set the time period for enrolment after a cart is abandoned (15 minutes, 30 minutes, one hour, six hours, or 12 hours)
Each type of site visitor - customers and guests - can receive three different emails scheduled for different times, each with different email content.
You have two options which provide the ability to include the contents of visitors cart within the emails you send:
- Using Engagement Cloud's 'Abandoned cart' block, which can be dragged and dropped into a campaign using EasyEditor (and makes use of CartInsight to populate the block)
- Using Engagement Cloud's external dynamic content
Please note: To find the external dynamic content URL for abandoned carts, go to STORES > Dynamic Content > External Dynamic URL.
Our abandoned carts functionality works via an analysis every five minutes of quotes in the core Magento quotes table. In this table, your visitor's last modified date is within the time settings you have set and contains an email address or one associated to a registered customer. It is important to note that this functionality will not work if you are not using the default Magento quote functionality.
We allow you to set up to three emails to be triggered when a cart is abandoned, and you are also allowed to set up different emails for customers and guests. In addition to this, as per all of our features, you can configure different settings per website.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Create the campaigns you wish to send as abandoned cart emails within your Engagement Cloud account.
- Go to STORES > Configuration > ENGAGEMENT CLOUD > Abandoned Carts, and select whether you are setting these up for Customers or Guests.
- Enable the amount of abandoned cart emails you require, set the time delay for the sending of the emails after the cart is abandoned, and then select the relevant campaign you created in step 1 from the 'Campaign to Send' dropdown.
- Click Save Config in the top right. Magento will then confirm that the settings have been saved. Your abandoned cart emails will send accordingly.
The ability to adjust abandoned carts email limit is found in the 'Abandoned carts' section by going to STORES > Configuration > ENGAGEMENT CLOUD > Configuration.
You can restrict the sending of an abandoned cart email to a contact if they've already received a previous one within a set amount of hours. This avoids overloading contacts' inboxes if they do tend to have a habit of regularly abandoning their carts. Select from options between 1 to 240 hours and click Save Config once happy with the setting.
You can restrict abandoned cart emails so that they are only sent to newsletter subscribers by going to STORES > Configuration > ENGAGEMENT CLOUD > Configuration.
To send abandoned cart emails only to newsletter subscribers, click No in the 'Allow abandoned cart for non-subscribed contacts' dropdown.