Learn to link a Chat user to a contact already existing in an Engagement Cloud address book.
If your Chat user already exists as a contact in Engagement Cloud, you can link their Chat session to their contact details.
First-time contacts and contacts with no data linked to them appear in chat as an anonymous contact. If a customer gives you their personal information, you can either add them as a new contact or link them to an existing contact in Engagement Cloud.
Linking a Chat session to an existing contact
To link a Chat session to an existing contact:
- On the chat interface, click the chat session you want to link a contact from – this opens the chat window.
- Click the Contact actions drop-down menu in the right column of the Chat window.
- Click Link to existing contact.
- Enter the visitor's email address in the search box.
- Select the user’s email address to link the contact to.
When you link a chat session to a contact, the user is not added to the Chat contacts address book in Engagement Cloud. The user stays in the address books they were in before.
Linking a chat visitor to a contact