Learn to link a Chat session to a contact that already exists in your account.
When you link a contact in chat, you link a customer’s Chat session to a contact card in your account.
Whether you use the In-app email address request feature or obtain and enter the details manually, we’ll automatically let you know if the contact already exists in your account – we do this by matching the email address.
If the contact does exist, you see the customer’s details in the right-side panel, and either a verified or unverified icon next to their name. If the contact is unverified, you must verify them before linking the account.
To learn more, check out the articles:
Before you start
Things you need to know before you start:
- We recommend you set up the In-chat email address request feature. However, if you don’t, you can still manually link a contact.
To learn more, check out the article Turn on and customise in-app email address request.
- You must be a Chat agent to link a contact.
To learn more, check out Roles and permissions of Chat..
- You must read and understand the article Chat verification security and compliance.
First-time, unidentified contacts and contacts with no data linked to them appear in chat as an anonymous contact. If a customer gives you their personal information, you can either add them as a new contact or link them to an existing contact in Engagement Cloud.
Link a Chat session to an existing contact
To link a Chat session to an existing contact:
- Verify the email address belongs to the customer.
To learn how to verify an email address, check out the article Verify an email address received in Chat.
- On the chat interface, select the chat session you want to link a contact from – this opens the chat window.
- Expand the Contact actions drop-down menu in the right column of the Chat window, and select Link to existing contact.
- Enter the visitor's email address in the search box.
- Select the user’s email address to link the contact to.
The contact is now verified and linked to the contact in your account.