Learn how to automatically trigger an email campaign when a contact or lead is synchronised from Salesforce to Dotdigital.
When synchronising contacts or leads from Salesforce to Dotdigital, you might want to send a communication to your contacts as soon as they enter the Dotdigital address book. For example, a welcome email, promotional email, or a message that’s time-sensitive. You can do this by setting up a campaign join action on the address book.
Set up your campaign join action
A campaign join action will send a triggered campaign of your choice to any contact that is individually added to the address book.
Campaign join actions are not triggered for bulk additions to an address book, for example, a contact import through uploading a .csv file.
To set up a campaign join action:
- In Dotdigital, go to Contacts > All contacts.
- Find the address book you want to add the join action for and select the Properties icon.
- For Campaign join action, select SELECT CAMPAIGN.
- Select the radio button for the triggered campaign you want to send.
- Select SAVE.
Enable the join action in Salesforce
To set up the join action from your Salesforce address book:
- In Salesforce, go to Email Address Books and select the name of the address book.
- Select Advanced.
- On the Settings tab, select the Join trigger checkbox then select Save.
Understand the synchronisation process
The next time your email address book syncs from Salesforce, each contact within it is synced individually to the matching address book. This individual contact sync is necessary to allow the campaign join action email to be triggered to each email address in the sync.
Syncs and API allowance
As each email address in the email address book is synced individually into Dotdigital this will use the corresponding number of API calls, which may use a significant amount of your hourly API allowance.
To learn more, check out the Restrictions section of our API documentation.