A highly-structured message (HSM) is a template that is required to be used in your first outbound message in a session to a customer. WhatsApp must approve your HSMs before you can start sending them. These are used because of limitations to how WhatsApp would like brands to use the channel. By approving each template, they can ensure the channel is not being used for:
- sales discounts, promotions or offers
- brands asking for reviews or surveys
- brands advertising products, services or events the customer may like (whether or not it is based on purchasing or browsing behaviour).
Instead, WhatsApp encourages brands to send messages on the channel that improve the customer experience.
Understanding HSMs and the approval process
When it comes to crafting your HSM, there are a few things to bear in mind. The first is that all HSMs are approved on a case-by-case basis. What may be approved for one company, may be rejected for yours. It will most likely take a few attempts to get your HSM approved. This is normal, and part of the process for brands of every size.
The best way to improve the likelihood of your HSMs being approved is to:
- make sure your use cases for messaging comply with WhatsApp's Business Policy
- make sure your HSMs fit the use case you have submitted
- make sure you select the template category that best suits your use case (seen below)
- ensure your message could not be perceived as marketing by WhatsApp
- craft templates that add value for your customer and their experience on WhatsApp
dotdigital will keep you informed about the review status of your HSMs at every stage, but WhatsApp does not give feedback as to why they may be rejected. However as a WhatsApp Solutions Provider we can offer our guidance as to where we think there might have been an issue.
- Stay patient! Remember the opportunity and reach that WhatsApp will allow you to have.
- A little bit of tweaking can go a long way. Sometimes just altering a word in a template can make all the difference.
- Keep your customer in mind and the value you can bring to them with your HSM.
- Remember: WhatsApp is a conversational channel, and customers that either reply to your HSM or come in independently to the channel can speak to your agents without restriction (no HSMs, and no ban on marketing!).
HSM template categories
|Template category||Allowed use case||Examples|
|ACCOUNT_UPDATE||Notify the message recipient of a change to their account settings.||
|PAYMENT_UPDATE||Notify the message recipient of a payment update for an existing transaction.||
|PERSONAL_FINANCE_UPDATE|| Confirm a message recipient’s
|SHIPPING_UPDATE||Notify the message recipient of a change in shipping status for a product that has already been purchased.||
|RESERVATION_UPDATE||Notify the message recipient of updates to an existing reservation.||
|APPOINTMENT_UPDATE||Notify the message recipient of a change to an existing appointment.||
|TRANSPORATION_UPDATE||Notify the message recipient of updates to an existing transportation reservation.||
|TICKET_UPDATE||Send the message recipient updates or reminders for an event for which a person already has a ticket.||
|ISSUE_RESOLUTION||Notify the message recipient of an update to a customer service issue that was initiated in a Messenger conversation,
following a transaction.
|ALERT||Notify the message recipient of something informational||