Learn how to create and synchronise your marketing lists in Microsoft Dynamics.
Microsoft Dynamics marketing lists can be used to drive your email campaigns. An email campaign can be associated with an existing marketing list, or you can create a new marketing list for your email campaign.
Changes to marketing lists in Microsoft Dynamics
On 18 November 2020, we released a new solution package for Microsoft Dynamics 2013, 2015, 2016, and 365 to improve the UI in the Marketing List area. The Subscription Filtering and Synchronisation Order areas are no longer included in newer packages:
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- v22.214.171.124 and newer.
- Microsoft Dynamics 2015 and 2016
- v126.96.36.199 and newer.
- Microsoft Dynamics 2013
- v188.8.131.52 and newer
If you are using an older version of Microsoft Dynamics, check out this version of Create and synchronise marketing lists in Microsoft Dynamics.
Create a marketing list
To create a marketing list:
- Go to Marketing > Marketing Lists. By default, your My Active Marketing Lists are shown.
To find existing marketing lists, select the My Active Marketing Lists drop-down menu or use the search bar.
- To create a new marketing list, select New.
- In the Email Settings area, enter the marketing list name in the Name box.
- Switch the Activated for Email toggle to Yes. Before you can sync or use a marketing list with an email campaign, your emails must be activated.
- In the Member Type drop-down menu, select the marketing list member type. You can pick from:
- In the Type drop-down menu, select the marketing list type. You can choose from Static or Dynamic:
Based on a dynamics query that retrieves the information. On sync, we remove address book members to reflect the content in the marketing list.
- To remove members from your marketing list after you send your email campaign, switch the Clear List on Send toggle to Yes. This allows you to use the same marketing list more than once. By default, it's set to No.
- To manually synchronise your marketing list, switch the Manual Sync Only toggle to Yes. This excludes the marketing list from scheduled synchronisation. By default, it is set to No.
Manual Sync Only is useful for checking how many members of your target marketing list are unsubscribers in Engagement Cloud before you send your email campaign. After you manually sync a marketing list, select the Notes tab and open the attached file of the synchronisation summary.
Member count discrepancies
There are many reasons why your member count is different from the marketing list in Microsoft Dynamics to the number of contacts in an Engagement Cloud address book. To learn more about member count discrepancies, check out Member count discrepancies in Microsoft Dynamics.
Synchronise a marketing list to Engagement Cloud
After you create a marketing list, you must synchronise it to Engagement Cloud before using it with your email campaigns. The synchronisation process creates corresponding address books in Engagement Cloud. Automatic synchronisation is triggered when you send an email campaign, but you can manually complete it, too.
To sync a marketing list:
- Go to Marketing > Marketing Lists.
- Select a marketing list name.
- Select Synchronise.
A dialog box appears that tells you your maketing lists were added to the synchronisation queue.
If you do not have the required admin privileges and then try to do a sync, a dialog box appears and says that you can’t complete the synchronisation. To learn more about assigning roles in Microsoft Dynamics, check out Microsoft Dynamics - FAQ, or contact your CRM administrator for help.
Manage marketing list members
After you successfully create and sync your marketing lists, you can access and manage the members in the Members area. This shows you an overview of the members that are currently in your marketing list.
To manage your marketing list members:
- Go to Engagement Cloud > Marketing Lists. By default, your My Active Marketing Lists are shown.
- Select the name of the marketing list you want to manage.
- Select the Manage Member drop-down menu. You can add, remove, or evaluate your members:
- Add using Lookup
Find members to add to your marketing list.
- Add using Advanced Find
Find members to add to your marketing list using search criteria.
- Remove using Advanced Find
Find members to remove from your marketing list using search criteria.
- Evaluate using Advanced Find
Evaluate which members to keep in the marketing list using search criteria.
- Add using Lookup
- Go to the Members area and select Refresh.
Locating address book unsubscribers
If you use address book suppressions, in the Marketing List area, you can see the unsubscribed members under Related > Unsubscribers. These are members that have requested to be unsubscribed or opted-out from your marketing list by using the preference centre settings in Engagement Cloud. This is different from a contact that selects an Unsubscribe link in an email campaign; this is a global opt-out of all future communications. Global unsubscribers are added to the Suppression List, and the Do Not Bulk Email preference is updated against the contact’s CRM record.
Manage email campaigns in a marketing list
To see which email campaigns are used in a selected marketing list, in the Marketing List area, go to Related > Email Campaigns.
Locating email clicks
To see all clicks for a marketing list, in the Marketing List area, go to Related > Email Clicks. All clicks for the marketing list are sorted by email campaign.