Learn to use a customised unsubscribe form that lets your contacts pick the types of campaigns they want to unsubscribe from.
Every account comes with a default unsubscribe page accessible from the footer of your communications. But, if you want, you can create your own customised unsubscribe form to let your contacts pick which email communications they subscribe to.
A customised unsubscribe also includes a subscribe option for any contacts not subscribed.
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- For compliance purposes, our team must review your form before we can enable it.
To learn how, check out Step 2: Send your form for review.
- Campaign-level unsubscribe reporting isn't available with this unsubscription method.
Step 1: Create the form and add it to your site
- Go to Email > Contacts > Signup forms.
- Under the heading Subscribe options, choose the contact data fields, public preferences, and address books that you want contacts to be able to unsubscribe from.
- Under Display settings, select Yes or No to include consent text.
To learn more about consent, check out the article Record consent for your contacts.
- If you chose to include consent text, enter your consent text in the Consent text box.
- Under Include unsubscribe option, select Yes.
If you don't select this, your form will only allow new subscribers.
- Under the heading On completion, choose what happens after the contact has completed the form. Choose to add the contact to an address book, enrol them on a program, or redirect them to a landing page.
- To redirect the contact to a landing page, expand the Redirect to drop-down menu, select URL and enter the landing page URL.
You can use this to take the contact to a survey to ask why they're unsubscribing.
- When complete, select Generate code and paste the code into your website.
Step 2: Send your form for review
We must review your form for compliance purposes. To notify us that your form is ready for review:
- In Dotdigital, go to Settings > Account, and select the Account Settings tab.
- Under Unsubscribe and Preference Centre, expand the When a contact clicks 'unsubscribe' drop-down menu, and select Show the preference centre below.
- Expand the When a contact wants to change their marketing preferences drop-down menu, and select Show a custom preference centre on a URL.
- Enter your URL in the URL box.
- Select SAVE SETTINGS.
InformationYou can use this function with a triggered campaign. When a contact unsubscribes from a particular address book using this form, you can ensure a campaign gets automatically sent to them, perhaps to collect feedback on why they're unsubscribing from it. This can be done by editing the settings of an address book to include an 'unsubscribe action'.