Learn how to use Shopware Flow Builder to trigger adding a contact or updating an existing contact in Dotdigital.
You can use Shopware Flow Builder to trigger adding or updating contacts to your account. This is a useful way to automate responses to events that happen in your Shopware store and keep your Dotdigital address books and data fields up-to-date.
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- The Dotdigital for Shopware Flow Builder extension must be installed and enabled on your Shopware account.
To learn more, check out the article Install and enable the Dotdigital for Shopware Flow Builder extension.
- We recommend you test your Shopware flows before activating them.
To learn more, check out the Shopware article Flow Builder.
- You need an address book to store contacts in your Dotdigital account.
To learn more, check out the category Address books and segments.
- You need Dotdigital data fields and their corresponding Shopware values and variables.
To learn more, check out the category Data fields and marketing preferences and the article Shopware variables.
1. Set the trigger
The first step is to choose what event you want to trigger adding or updating contacts to your account:
- In Shopware, go to Settings > Flow Builder and select Add flow.
- Enter your flow’s general information, including: Name, Description, and Priority.
- Turn on the Active toggle to set your flow to active.
Alternatively, you can come back and activate your flow at the end.
- Select the Flow tab at the top.
- Expand the Trigger drop-down menu and choose a trigger.
For this example we will expand the Checkout drop-down menu and choose Order > Placed.
2. Add an action
Next, you need to include adding or updating contacts to your account as a response to the trigger:
- On the Add conditions or actions menu, select Add action (THEN).
- Expand the Action drop-down menu and select Add or update contacts.
3. Add or update address books
Choose the address book you want new contacts to be added to, or existing contacts to be updated to:
- Expand the Email address drop-down menu and choose which contact you want to add or update.
- For this example, we want to add or update contacts that have placed orders, so we’ll leave it set as Customer.
- If you want to test your flow, select Custom and enter your admin email address.
- Expand the Add to address book drop-down menu and choose the address book you want to add new contacts or update contacts to.
- You can also select the checkboxes for:
- Send resubscribe email
This sends a resubscribe email to any unsubscribed or suppressed contacts.
- Verify contacts with double opt-in
This sends a double opt-in confirmation email to new contacts before adding them to Dotdigital.
- Send resubscribe email
4. Add or update contact data fields (optional)
Choose Dotdigital data fields and Shopware values you want to add or update to your contacts:
- Expand the Dotdigital data field drop-down menu and choose the data field.
- Enter a corresponding Shopware value.
- For this example we will add the Dotdigital data field: Location and Shopware value: UK
- Alternatively, you can add a Shopware variable instead of a value. To learn more, check out the Shopware article Email templates.
- Select the check mark icon to save the settings.
You can add additional data fields and variables by selecting the settings (⋯) icon on a blank row and selecting Edit.
- To save, select Add Action.