A preference centre is a form that helps you to improve communications with your contacts by giving them an easy way to manage how you contact them and what data you hold about them.
The preference centre allows contacts to do the following:
- change their details
- change their marketing preferences
- change the address books that they belong to, meaning they can unsubscribe from specific address books instead of unsubscribing from all address books (opt down instead of opt out)
After you've set up the preference centre, contacts can access it by clicking a link in your campaign.
Contacts who click the link are taken straight to the preference centre.
Any contact data fields, preferences, and address books that you want to appear in the preference centre must be set as public.
Alternatively, to unsubscribe from everything, contacts can click Unsubscribe from all email.
You'll need to compete the following two steps:
- Make sure that the contact data fields, preferences, and address books that you want to display are set to public (newly created contact data fields and address books are set to private by default)
- Include a link to the preference centre in your campaign, for which we offer two methods:
- Send contacts to the preference centre when they click 'Unsubscribe'
- Insert a separate link to the preference centre
Contacts can edit their details, preferences, and address books they belong to by changing the values in their contact data fields and by selecting and de-selecting preferences and address books.
To display the name of a contact data field, preference, or address book in the preference centre, you need to set its visibility to public.
After setting contact data fields, preferences, or address books to public, your contacts will be able to see the names of them when they access the preference centre. So, remember to make sure that the names are sensible!
Setting contact data fields to public
- Go to Contacts > Contact data fields and click the My data fields tab
- Click the 'Properties' icon of the contact data field that you want to set to public
- Next to 'Access', select This data label is public
- Click Save
Setting preferences to public
- Go to Contacts > Marketing preferences
- Click the 'Edit' pencil icon of the preference that you want to set to public
- Next to 'Access', select This preference is public
- Click Update
Setting address books to public
- Go to Contacts
- Click the 'Properties' icon of the address book that you want to set to public
- In the 'Visibility' field of the 'Settings' tab, select Public (show in preference centre)
- Click Save
Note: For new accounts, contacts are sent to the preference centre by default when they click 'Unsubscribe'.
- Click on the person-and-cog icon at the foot of the side navigation bar and click Account
- Click the Account settings tab, scroll down to the 'Unsubscribe and preference centre settings', and select Show the preference centre chosen below for 'When a contact clicks 'unsubscribe''
- To display the default preference centre, select Show the default preference centre for 'When a contact wants to change their marketing preferences' (if you have a custom preference centre, then select one of the other appropriate choices)
- Click Save settings
If you chose to send contacts to the preference centre when they click 'Unsubscribe', you won't be able to also insert a separate link to the preference centre.
The steps below allow you to include both 'Unsubscribe' and preference centre links in your campaign, with the 'Unsubscribe' link serving to remove the contact from all address books.
- When editing your campaign content, add the text that you'd like to link to the preference centre (e.g. 'Change my details')
- Select the text, then click Link in EasyEditor's toolbar
- In the 'Add a link' window, select Preference centre and then click Insert
The preference centre is available in 20 different languages. We'll send each of your contacts a preference centre that has been translated into the language that their computer is set to (if that language is available).
If you want to customise your preference centre, contact your account manager (if you know who it is), or fill out this request form. Specify 'Account Management' as the query type; our creative services team can build a solution for you.
Otherwise, you can make use of the pages and forms tool and its 'Marketing preferences' element. This allows you to effectively create a preference centre that you're able to customise, meaning you can add your own images for branding and use your own wording.
Keep in mind that:
- It isn’t possible to allow your contacts to select from a list of your public address books in a page or form, as you can with the default preference centre or a signup form. Use this type of preference centre if you are using marketing preferences or data field values to group your contacts, rather than address books.
It is possible to use an automated program to sort contacts into specific address books based on their responses to the form, as outlined here: https://support.dotdigital.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360000476570-How-do-I-segment-contacts-based-on-their-answers-to-a-survey-
- The form needs to be embedded on a page of your website, or you can use the page or form itself as the custom preference centre. To set how a user accesses their preferences, go to Settings > Account > Account settings > Unsubscribe and preference centre settings. Beside the When a contact wants to change their marketing preferences field, select either Show a custom preference centre on a page or Show a custom preference centre on a URL.
Use these kinds of preference centre options when using separate unsubscribe and update your preferences links in your campaigns.
- If you want to use a custom process for unsubscribing contacts, please contact your Account Manager.