Our geo-mapping function provides you with a visual overview of where your contacts are opening your emails throughout the world.
You can view hotspots on a map, select map areas at the click of a mouse, and add geographically selected contacts to a new address book.
Using the Map of openers report
This report generates a heatmap of where in the world your contacts are opening your campaign with locations based on each contact's IP address.
Keep in mind that a skewed location can appear within a heatmap's results. For example, a skewed location can occur if:
- a contact is connected to the server through a VPN; the IP of the VPN server will be used in place of the user's physical location
- a dynamic IP address is assigned by the contact's ISP; two different IP addresses can be generated for the same contact over time, for example, an IP assigned to a device in London today may show as Edinburgh tomorrow
- a spam filter and/or security software has clicked links and/or downloaded images in your campaign to ensure content quality, thus recording the IP of the filter or software instead of the contact's IP
- images that are automatically displayed within a campaign are cached and served by a proxy server
A heatmap location can also be based on a contact's postcode/zipcode. To display campaign opens by postcode/zipcode, select the appropriate data field from the 'Postcode Data label' dropdown. In this example, 'POSTCODE' is used, but this contact data field can differ if you've chosen to store postcodes or zipcodes in a different contact data field.
Click OK to generate the updated heatmap.
In addition to standard mouse controls, the far left-hand side of the map features a slider bar so you can zoom in and out, plus a directional controller so you can move around the map.
To select a particular area on the map, you'll need to draw around an area using a square, circle or polygon tool. These are available to select in the toolbar just above the map.
If you want your selected area to adhere to a fixed ratio, click on Normal and then select Fixed ratio from the dropdown before making your selection.
The 'Contacts selected' number will change to reflect the number of contacts opening your campaign in the selected area.
Don't worry if your initial selection is a little clumsy or isn't quite right. This is easily corrected using the selection tools. You can delete, rotate, or resize.
Click the red 'x' to delete your selection, or click the polygon icon to manipulate any of your shape's points into another position and thus alter your selection area.
Moving over your selection will also produce different cursor icons enabling you to move, rotate, or resize it.
The width and length of your selection area is shown in the toolbar above the map (the default setting is in miles but it can be toggled to kilometres).
You can select more than one area at a time. This is done by additionally drawing around somewhere else on the map using a square, circle or polygon. The contacts selected are then added to the existing total shown.
You can also:
- Filter the report by address book, segment, split test variation, or dynamic content variation
- Add selected contacts to a new address book by clicking on Add these contacts to an address book (which is positioned in the bottom left corner just below the map). Enter a name for the address book in the 'Create new address book' window and then click Create. The address book will be listed on your 'All contacts' page.