Learn how to use the campaign testing options to check your campaign content and design.
After creating the HTML and plain text versions of your campaign, the third step of the campaign creation process is Test.
Before sending out a campaign to your contacts, it's important to test it thoroughly. Testing allows you and your team to confirm that your campaign contains all of the expected content, and test send recipients can feed back to you about what the email looks like in their different email clients and on different devices.
The platform provides testing tools for you. There are two possible testing options available:
- Test send to contacts in your Test address book.
- A charged inbox and spam filter test service provided by Email on Acid.
Different email clients and devices show HTML differently, so it's wise to test your campaign in a number of mail clients (for example, Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, Gmail), and on different devices (iPhone, Android mobile device, desktop).
Send to your test contacts
A test send is a copy of the campaign sent to your selected test email addresses. The subject line of your campaign is prefixed with Test: to make test sends easy to identify in an inbox. You can test both the HTML and plain text versions of your campaign.
There are two ways to send a test of your campaign:
- On the Test campaign step, select CHOOSE CONTACTS under Send to your test contacts. Select which campaign versions you want to test (HTML, plain text, or both). Select SELECT TEST ADDRESS to choose a contact who already exists in your Test address book, or select NEW TEST ADDRESS to add a new test contact. Once you’ve chosen your contacts, select TEST SEND.
- You can also open the Test send side panel by in the EasyEditor view on the Content campaign step. To do this, select TEST SEND from just above the toolbar.
Test sends and the spam filter
If your test sends are going to your spam inbox, don’t worry. Test sends are not intended for testing inbox placement, because the test send IP pool is different from the IP pool used for live sends. If you’re feeling uneasy and want to make sure your campaigns aren’t going to spam, do a live campaign send to yourself or your colleagues.
Inbox and spam filter test
If enabled on your account, you can use the inbox and spam filter testing tool to:
- test what your campaign looks like in dozens of different email clients and devices.
- assess your campaign's content to highlight how it scores against all the key spam filters, identifying which words, images, and code may cause you deliverability problems.
Depending on your account package, there may be a charge for each use of the inbox and spam filter testing tool. The cost is displayed in-app.
Campaign previews vs inbox and spam filter tests
The Inbox and spam filter test tool doesn’t support views for advanced personalisation and dynamic content; it should be used to see how your campaign design displays on different types of devices or in different email clients. Use the Preview option in EasyEditor to view your advanced personalisation and dynamic content.