Email campaigns must be created in Engagement Cloud and synchronised to Dynamics. In this section, we manually synchronise email campaigns. But, you can also set up email campaigns to be automatically synchronised.
Creating an email campaign
- Create an email campaign in your Engagement Cloud account
- From the navigation bar, go to Marketing > Email Campaigns
- Click the SYNCHRONISE button in the command bar to manually synchronise your email campaigns
If you do not have the correct privileges, a popup window will appear, telling you that you cannot complete the synchronisation. Contact your CRM administrator for help.
- After the synchronisation has finished, you should see the name of your email campaign in the list. Click the name to access the campaign information page.
Selecting a target marketing list
Before you can send your email campaign, you need to create an email-activated marketing list and synchronise that list to Engagement Cloud.
After you've created your marketing list, do the following:
- On the email campaign information page, click the down arrow next to the name of your email campaign in the navigation bar
- Under 'Marketing', click Target Marketing Lists
- Click the ADD EXISTING MARKETING LIST button in the command bar and select the marketing lists that you want to send the email campaign to
- From the navigation bar, click the name of your email campaign to return to the campaign information page
Sending an email campaign
- From the campaign information page, select SEND EMAIL CAMPAIGN.
- Select your targeted marketing lists
A warning icon appears next to the name of the marketing list if one of the following conditions is true. Mouse over the icon to confirm the reason.
- The marketing list has not been email-enabled
- The marketing list is associated with a different email account (Engagement Cloud account)
- Select Continue.
The 'Email Campaign Targets Counts' page is displayed. This page displays the total amount of targets that you can send emails to. If any targets were excluded from the total amount, the lower part of the page displays a pie chart, illustrating the reasons for the exclusion.
- Select Continue.
The 'Email Campaign Options' page is displayed. From this page, you are able to choose whether to send your campaign immediately or schedule the send for a predetermined date and time in the future.
If you created a split test campaign, you can set your specifications for sending (% of targets to send an initial batch to/delay period/measuring metric). After you've set these specifications, the 'Summary' section of this page displays your selected timescales and details of how the email sends are split.
- Click Continue.
The 'Email Campaign Wizard Summary' page is displayed to allow you to check the details of the campaign before it is sent.
- Select Send Campaign
- A new window advises you that you are about to send your campaign. Select OK.
Email campaigns must be in an Activated state to be sent. By default, they are set to Activated.
Cancelling scheduled sends
All scheduled sends that haven't yet been sent can be found under 'Email Group Sends'. If you can't find your scheduled send, go to Marketing > Email Campaigns and use the search to locate the campaign and click its name.
- From the navigation bar, select the arrow next to your campaign's name and select Email Group Sends.
- Select the scheduled job and click the DELETE EMAIL GROUP SENDS button in the command bar.
After the campaign is sent the connector synchronises various campaign statistics from Engagement Cloud. This synchronisation happens depending on the intervals that are specified on the Settings page. For this article we have broken down the reports into the following different types:
- Basic: Displays a high-level summary of the overall campaign performance
- Advanced: Displays more granular data
The campaign information page provides a quick summary of how the Email Campaign performed. Available items on this page include the engagement summary, social summary, and aggregated statistics.
This page can be accessed by selecting Marketing from the main menu bar then Email Campaigns. From 'Email Campaigns' use the search functionality to locate it and click the name. This brings you directly to the page.
This section provides graphical summaries of the engagement statistics, such as Top 10 Clicks, Bottom 10 Clicks, Email Opens by Date First Opened, etc. These statistics are retrieved from Engagement Cloud and made available within Dynamics CRM.
Displays a summary of the number of views generated by your Email Campaign after being shared on social networks via the Engagement Cloud social network bookmarking tool.
Displays statistical information relating to the delivery of emails within this campaign. This includes a send summary, delivery summary, click summary and open summary. For example, the ‘Delivered Rate’ shows what percentage of total targets received the marketing email.
More granular data is available for a specific campaign by accessing the Campaign Information menu. This is done by selecting the arrow next to the campaign's name from the Dynamics menu.
Provides a table of all targets of the campaign in descending order of Date Sent. The list can be filtered using the pick list above the table to refine the data displayed. For example, you can view only those recipients who opened the marketing email. Scrolling across the page provides more detailed information such as how many times the recipient opened the mail and the first and last times they did this.
You can also filter using the 'View pick list' to display the Account, Contact or Lead name rather than the recipient email address and clicking on a record opens the 'Entity Information' page (for example, 'Contact Information' page).
Provides those recipients who have clicked within the marketing email, in descending order of click date and time.
The data can be filtered by the URL that they clicked upon, enabling you to view only those recipients who clicked on a particular link within the email. Clicking on a record opens the 'Email Click Information' page which displays the same data in non-editable fields rather than a tabular view.
Web Page Views (and WebInsight)
Once the appropriate page tracking script has been installed and configured on your website, this section shows recipients’ activity on your website after they have clicked through from your campaign. It will also show WebInsight data if it is activated on your account.
Return on Investment
Tracks and reports on any transactional events on your website resulting from an Email Campaign e.g. purchase of a product, or download of a whitepaper, etc.
Displays the views generated by your campaign after being shared on social networks via the Engagement Cloud social network bookmarking tool.