This quick-start guide is intended for Dotdigital for Magento 2 users coming from a Magento 2.x installation and who aren't looking to get too technical. It focuses on the most important things you need to know, and do, in order to get going once installation is complete.
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- Our Magento 2 (Adobe Commerce) integration has an initial onboarding charge for setup assistance, and a monthly license fee to ensure ongoing support and development. To learn more, speak to your Customer Success Manager.
Starting your Dotdigital trial
To start your Dotdigital trial, you need to complete these steps:
- Install Magento 2.x, and then install and activate Dotdigital for Magento 2 (if you're installing Magento 2.2.2+, then Dotdigital for Magento 2 will be automatically installed and activated for you)
- Go to STORES > Configuration > Dotdigital > Accounts
- Click on the 'Start free trial' banner, positioned above 'Settings'
- A form will open for you to fill in with your details. Once complete, click on Start your trial.
This will map your data fields and create the three address books you require in your Dotdigital account - 'Customers', 'Guests' and 'Subscribers'.
If your Magento instance is running securely over HTTPS, then you'll be able to create the account directly from Magento via the signup form.
If it's not running over HTTPS, then you'll get redirected to dotdigital.com/trial/magento instead. After creating the account there, you'll need to:
- create your API credentials
- create the three address books mentioned above
- run the auto-mapping function for data fields (in Developer > Sync settings)
Automation - welcome emails
Using automation with your customer activity is a great way to get the most out of the connector and enrol certain behaviours to selected programs.
Firstly create your program in Dotdigital and activate it with no scheduled enrolment, then head over to the connector's Automation section under the 'Dotdigital' menu. The types of visitor actions you can enrol upon are displayed below.
Automation - abandoned cart emails
Abandoned cart automation works a little different to the standard welcome automation. Rather than creating your program in Dotdigital, all you need to do is set up the triggered campaign content in Dotdigital instead.
Once you’re satisfied, head back to the connector's Abandoned Carts section under the 'Dotdigital' menu and select the delay prior to sending each campaign. All your triggered campaign content will appear in the 'Campaign to Send' dropdown menu, so make sure you keep to a naming convention that’s easily identifiable.
After setting this up, you'll want to test your abandoned cart emails, but you won’t want everyone to receive them. In which case, you’ll need to set up an exclusion list. To do this, select MARKETING, from under 'Marketing Automation' select Exclusion Rules, and then click on Add New to the far right.
The first screen to appear will be 'Rule Information'. Give your rule a name.
The second tab is 'Conditions'. Click on this and then click on Add.
Ensure you select 'Email' as the attribute, set your condition to 'is not' and then add your email address as the value. This will result in excluding everyone who is not you. If you want to use more than one email address, change the 'Conditions Combination Match' to 'ANY'.
Once you’re happy with your testing, you can delete the exclusion rule, or use it to create other rules, such as excluding anyone who’s basket value is less than a certain amount.
If you want to prevent contacts from receiving too many abandoned cart emails within a certain time period, then you can change the rule set to impose a limit. Go to Configuration under the 'ENAGAGEMENT CLOUD' menu, select Abandoned Carts, click on the 'Abandoned Cart Limit' drop-down and select the time period until the next abandoned cart email can be sent.