Using our coupon codes external dynamic content URL allows you to include unique, single-use coupon codes within any email you want to.
This will allow you to incentivise your contacts with coupon codes without the risk of the codes being shared and abused.
Setting up coupon codes
Firstly you need to create a valid shopping cart price rule in Magento. This can be found in Marketing > Cart Price Rules (under ‘Promotions’).
When creating a new rule, you need to ensure you select that a specific coupon must be used and you want to use auto generation.
Once this is done and you have set up the rule, including the conditions and actions if required, you need to save the rule. This can be found in Marketing > Cart Price Rules (under ‘Promotions’).
Using the Engagement Cloud Coupon URL Builder
ou can use the Engagement Cloud Coupon URL Builder to generate a personalised coupon code, so you can resend coupons and speed up the process of coupon creation.
You might need to update your connector
The Engagement Cloud Coupon URL Builder is only available in connector version 4.3.0 and above.
To locate the Engagement Cloud Coupon URL Builder:
- Go to Marketing > Cart Price Rules.
- Select the rule you want to work on.
- Go to the Rule Information area.
- Go to the Coupon drop-down and select Specific Coupon.
- Select the Use Auto Generation box.
- Expand the Engagement Cloud Coupon URL Builder area.
In the Engagement Cloud Coupon URL Builder area, there are seven fields:
- Code Format - Decides the type of code your coupon uses. This can be set to alphanumeric, alphabetical, and numeric.
- Code Prefix - The word you choose for the beginning of your coupon code (225 character maximum).
- Code Suffix - The word you choose for the ending of your coupon code (255 character maximum).
- Expires After (days) - If a parent sales rule has an expiry date before generating the URL, this field appears as grey in the URL builder. Also, if a parent sales rule is added after generating a URL or after a coupon is generated, the sales rule expiry date takes priority over the coupon expiry date.
- Allow Resend - Resend a coupon to the same customer, or generate a new one by selecting No. This checks if a coupon already exists for this email address, and if so, it sends this coupon. If a coupon doesn't exist, it creates a new one.
- Cancel Send If Used - Cancel the sending of a coupon if a contact uses it by selecting Yes. This checks if a coupon already exists and if it's been used already for this email address, and if so, we send an error (skips the send/default external dynamic content (EDC) behavior). If a coupon doesn't exist, we send a new one.
Any skipped sends are added to your billing costs.
- Coupon Codes URL - The URL where your coupon is located to use within an EDC block.
Inserting a coupon into your email campaign
To insert a coupon into your Engagement Cloud email campaign:
- Go to Email > Campaigns > My campaigns.
- Select an existing campaign or click + New campaign - complete all requirements for a new campaign - to access EasyEditor.
- Go to Build > Building blocks > Tools in the campaign builder on the left-hand side.
- Drag the External dynamic content block into your campaign.
- Add a name into the Name box.
- Copy and paste the Coupon Codes URL - generated using the URL builder in Magento - into the Address box in the External dynamic content block settings area in EasyEditor.
- Add link groups to the Link groups box if you want.
- Click Apply once complete.
You can also alter the font and style of the coupon codes you generate. Find out more about styling options.