Learn how to assign data fields to your form blocks.
Assigning data fields to your form blocks allows you to add respondents that reply to your questions as new contacts, or it can also update and improve data for your existing contacts. You can do this for the following form blocks:
- Text box
- Multiple choice
- Opinion scale
- Date & time
- Hidden value
You must have an email address data field on the page or form, so the data collected can be matched to the respondent.
Assign a question to a contact data field
To assign a data field to a question:
- On the EasyEditor canvas, select the block you want to assign the data field to. Either a text box, email address, dropdown, multiple-choice, date and time, or hidden value.
- On the settings menu, expand the Data field section.
- Expand the Assign to a data field drop-down menu and choose the data field you want to assign the field to.
To create a brand new data field, select Create a new data field. Data types can either be text, numeric, date or yes/no. Make sure you select the right type for the data you're collecting.
- If you're sending to existing contacts, expand the If you already have this data for a respondent drop-down menu, and choose to either Update the contacts existing data or Hide the question from the contact.
Assign an email address data field
It’s important that you create an email address data field when your page or form contains assigned data fields. If you don’t do this, the data field information has nowhere to go because there’s no contact assigned to it. To add an email address field:
- Select the Build tab.
- Drag the Text box form block onto the canvas.
- Select Contact email from the Question type drop-down menu in the side panel.
- Expand the Data field menu in the side panel.
- Select either from the drop-down menu:
- Update (updates an existing respondent's data)
- Hide this question (hides the question when there's already data on the respondent)
- Edit the text box on the canvas.
- Select Save.
You can choose which address book or program your contacts are added or enrolled in by going to Form options > Submit actions.