Learn how to install the Dotdigital Marketing Automation extension using Composer.
The Dotdigital Marketing Automation extension must be installed before you can connect your Dotdigital account to your Magento 2 store. The extension can be found on Magento’s extensions marketplace and can be installed through Composer's dependency management tool. This article includes guidelines for a pre-installation health check to ensure all goes as well as possible before, during and after installation, and the necessary links for your developers to follow for the installation.
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- The connector installation should be done by your developers.
- Our latest code runs on Magento Open Source and Adobe Commerce (version 2.3 upwards). Compatibility will change over time. To check the latest requirements please check Github:
- We recommend that you back up your installation before using it.
Pre-installation health check
File permissions on var/export
File permissions on your site are an important part of the connector being able to write imports to be sent to Dotdigital.
The connector will require full access (0777) to the var/export directory or full access to the CRON user running on the server.
UAT and sandbox environments
Dotdigital always recommends testing any new code within sandbox and UAT environments, enabling you to check the compatibility with your site and other extensions you may have installed.
For UAT and sandbox environments, you should check the types of your contact data fields in Dotdigital plus any possible firewall restrictions for API calls, for example, when connecting an API user between Dotdigital and Magento.
You can do this by creating a separate Dotdigital trial account.
The cron heartbeat should be running every minute to do the required tasks and the synchronisation of data into the Dotdigital account. The connector is unable to function correctly without cron tasks.
To install the Dotdigital Marketing Automation extension:
- You must purchase the core extension from the Magento extensions marketplace. The account used for this should be the same one from which you create access keys for your Magento instance.
- Use Composer to require the metapackage (from repo.magento.com):
composer require dotdigital/dotdigital-magento2-os-package
If you require them, install additional modules (from packagist.org):
composer require dotdigital/dotdigital-magento2-extension-enterprise
composer require dotdigital/dotdigital-magento2-extension-b2b
- Upgrade Magento and re-compile code:
Databases and cron services
The Dotdigital Marketing Automation extension has several cron tasks attached to the installation to ensure the connector functions correctly.
For more information, check out the article Magento 2 databases and cron services.