Learn to suppress a contact in your account.
You can spend a lot of time making sure the right people get the right emails, it can also be just as important to make sure the wrong people don't get emails too. Use suppressions to temporarily, or permanently, stop certain contacts from receiving your emails.
Before you start
Things you need to know:
- When you suppress a contact, they can no longer subscribe themselves back up to your campaigns.
If you'd like to give the contact the option to subscribe themselves again, you can unsubscribe them instead. To learn more, check out Unsubscribe a contact.
- Suppressed contacts do not count towards your contact allowance.
There are two ways to suppress contacts:
- File removal - if you have a lot of email addresses and/or domains to suppress, you may prefer to do this via the upload of a CSV, TXT, Excel or ZIP file.
- Manually - use this tab to enter email addresses individually.
To add a suppressed contact:
- Go to Email > Contacts > Suppressed contacts.
- Select NEW CONTACT SUPPRESSION.
- If you want to upload a file of suppressions, select the File removal tab, then choose your file and select SUPPRESS THIS FILE FROM MY ACCOUNT
- If you want to manually add a suppressed email address, select the Manually tab, and then enter one email address per line. Then select SUPPRESS.
If you'd like to suppress contacts from an address book, check out the article Add suppressions to an address book.
Regardless of the method you choose, whether manually entering, pasting text, or uploading a file, email addresses suppressed will appear on your Suppressed contacts tab.