Learn to create and send an email campaign that you can bulk send to multiple contacts at once.
An email campaign is a marketing or communication message that you share through email with multiple contacts at once. When you create an email campaign, you go through our campaign builder where you can use pre-made or custom templates to get it looking just right.
Before you start
Before you create a campaign, you're going to need some contacts to send to. To learn how to set up your address books and start adding contacts, check out the article Add contacts to your account.
Create an email campaign
To create an email campaign:
Step 1: Start a new campaign
To start a new campaign:
- Go to Email > Campaigns > New campaign.
There are a few different ways to do this from within your account. If you don't know your way around yet, stick with us.
- Move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Choose a template and name your campaign
You must pick a template before you start building – a template is a pre-made arrangement of an email that you can easily make your own. You can choose to start from scratch, use one of our pre-made templates, or pick a custom template saved in your account.
To learn more about templates, check out our articles:
To choose a template:
- Use the three tabs Free templates, Custom templates, and Copy from sent campaign to see all the templates in your account.
- Hover over the template you want to use and select Select.
- In the Campaign name box, enter a name for your campaign.
- Expand the Campaign location drop-down menu and choose a location for your campaign. By default, campaigns are stored in the Campaigns folder.
If you don't have any additional folders created, the Campaigns folder is your only option. To learn how to create new folders, check out the article +2. Use folders to categorise your email campaigns.
- Select Continue and move on to Step 3.
Step 3: Enter your campaign details
On the campaign details page, you must enter some important setup information about your email campaign. Be aware that most of the details you enter here are seen by your contacts when they receive the campaign, so make sure you get it just right.
To learn more about the campaign details page, check out the article Campaign setup details.
- On the Campaign details page, find the heading Campaign details.
- In the Subject line box, enter your email campaign subject line.
- In the Friendly from name box, enter your friendly from name.
- Expand the From address drop-down menu and choose your from address.
To learn more about the From address, check out the article All about branded domains.
- In the Forwarding address box, enter any email addresses where you want us to forward replies received from this campaign.
- In the Campaign tags box, enter any tags you want to use to group campaign.
To learn more about managing tags, check out the article Use tags to organise your email campaigns.
- Under the heading Preview, take a look at the preview to see what your campaign details will look like in your contact's inbox.
- When complete, select Save & continue and move on to Step 4.
Step 4: Design your campaign content
At this stage, the email template you chose in Step 2 opens in EasyEditor.
To design your campaign content:
- In EasyEditor, enter and customise your content.
To learn more about using EasyEditor, check out Using EasyEditor to design an email campaign.
- Once you’ve entered your content, it’s time to see what it looks like on some common devices. To do this, select Preview at the top of the page.
- Once done, to go back to EasyEditor, and select Close.
To learn more, check out Using the Email campaign preview tool.
- Make any changes you want to make to your campaign in EasyEditor.
- Select Save & continue and move on to Step 5.
Step 5: Create a plain text version of your email
Once you've designed your campaign in EasyEditor you must create a plain text version of your email. A plain text version of your campaign is important for two reasons:
- Spam filters can penalise emails for only being in HTML and having no plain text alternative.
- Contacts might want to receive plain text because they're not fully sighted, or their email client or mobile device doesn't display HTML emails.
To create a plain text version of your email:
- In the plain text editor, enter and customise your content. Alternatively, select Generate plain text to automate this process from your existing HTML content.
To learn more, check out Creating the plain text version of your email campaign.
- To preview your plain text content, select Preview.
- Make any changes you want to make to your plain text campaign in the editor.
- Select Save & continue and move on to Step 6.
Step 6: Test send your campaign
Test sends are an essential part of verifying your email campaign. They let you check what your email looks like in your own inbox, as well as allowing you to share it with colleagues for proofreading and sanity checking before you send it to your contacts.
To test send your email campaign:
- On the Test page, there are two options for testing your campaign: Send to your test contacts and Inbox and spam filter test.
In this example we're going to send to your test contacts. To learn more about the Inbox and spam filter test, check out the article Use the inbox and spam filter test.
- Under the heading Send to your test contacts, select Choose contacts.
- On the Test send side panel, select to send Both the HTML and plain text versions.
- Select Select test address.
If you want to add a new email address for testing, select + New test address.
- From the Email address list, select the email addresses you want to send your test email to.
To select multiple email addresses, hold down the CTRL key.
- To send your test send, select Test send.
- Go to your email client and check your test sends are looking great.
If you need to make any changes, use Back to go back to EasyEditor and Plain text editor.
- When ready, select Continue and move on to Step 7.
To learn more about test sending, check out the article Test send an email campaign.
Step 7: Choose your contacts and select your sending preferences
To choose your contacts and select your sending preferences:
- Under the heading Choose an audience, select Choose address books, segments or marketing preferences.
- Select the specific segments, address books, and marketing preferences. To browse through them, use the tabs.
Understanding Address books, segments, and marketing preferences
- Address books - lists of email addresses (contacts)
- Segments - dynamic lists of contacts that meet particular criteria, for example, age, location or open/click activity on your campaigns.
- Marketing preferences - groups containing contacts who've expressed a desire to hear from you about a particular subject or area of interest.
Under the heading Choose a send time, choose a time to send your campaign.
You have three options:
Your campaign is sent straightaway. Choose to use the default sending speed or spread your campaign over several hours.
- At a scheduled date and time
Set a date and time in the future for when your campaign is sent.
- Using send-time optimisation
We optimise the time of individual sends to maximise open rates based on your contacts' historical open behaviour. It plans the timing of emails to reach inboxes when they're most likely to be read. Choose to either start sending optimised sends immediately or schedule it for later.
If you’re sending a split test campaign, this option is not available.
- Under the heading Do you want to ReMail this campaign?, select either Yes or No.
ReMail resends your campaign automatically to anyone who hasn't opened it after a set number of days (between 1 and 30 days). Please note that ReMails are considered separate campaigns for reporting and billing.
- If you have one set up, add an autoresponder to your campaign. In this example, we are not using an autoresponder.
To learn more about Auto responders, check out our article on auto responders.
- Select Save & continue.
Step 8: Send your campaign
To send your campaign:
- On the Campaign send summary, review your campaign and make sure everything is correct.
This is your last chance to make sure everything is accurate before sending.
- Under the heading One final check before you send, make sure your send details are correct.
- Finally, to send you campaign, select Send campaign.
If you set your campaign to send immediately, select Send campaign immediately.
That's it! Congrats, you've just sent your first email campaign.
Send an individual campaign
If you want to know how to send one of your existing sent campaigns to one or more of your contacts, check out the article Send a previously sent campaign.