You can select and manage the address books and contact data fields that are visible to your customers, so they can set their preferences. Once enabled, it serves to extend the 'Newsletter subscriptions' page that a registered customer can visit after they log into their account. Any selected contact data fields that the customer already has populated, or any address books that the customer already exists in, will be pre-selected when they viewing the 'Newsletter subscriptions' page.
Only contact data fields with a visibility setting of 'public' can be shown to customers. You can create more contact data fields within the 'Data Mapping' section.
This is a two-way synchronisation between Magento and dotdigital; whatever you set for address books and contact data fields in one platform will also be set in the other.
Setting address book and contact data field preferences
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Under System > DOTMAILER > Configuration, click on Customer Address Book Preference.
2. Select Yes to show address books to customers, followed by choosing the address books to show in addition to the Magento General Subscription list.
3. Select Yes to show contact data fields to customers, followed by choosing the contact data fields to show.
4. When satisfied with your settings, select Save Config in the top right. Magento will then confirm that the settings have been saved and customers will be able to see the selected address books and contact data fields.
Why is nothing else showing apart from the standard Magento content when I visit the 'Newsletter subscriptions' page?
There could be a few reasons for this:
1. The functionality hasn't been enabled. You'll need to ensure you have enabled this it by selecting 'Yes' from the available dropdowns.
2. No selection at all has been made from the 'to show' lists for a contact data field and/or an address book. You'll need to select at least one for something else to show.
3. The page might be cached. Make sure any caches have been cleared.
I can see content but nothing is pre-selected. Why is that?
Firstly, ensure the contact you are testing this with exists in the visible address books and has data held against them for the visible contact data fields, otherwise, nothing will be pre-selected for them.
Secondly, attempt to refresh the page. This is because the data required for contact is retrieved via the API and it may be the case that this retrieval failed upon initial load.
Please comment underneath with any further questions you may have.
The above also applies for Magento 2.0, with the only difference being that the 'Customer Address Book Preference' section is found by going to Stores > Configuration > DOTMAILER > Configuration.